June 5, 2016 By: David Tse
The second Pre-Alpha 5 video is now up! It's all about the world generation pipeline with some cool shots of an entire city in the game instead of the 2 streets that were in the last video. Go check it out and let me know what you think!
I'm pretty happy with this video and the state of the game right now. I think it's really starting to come together and I hope you agree. Now i'm off to go work on the inventory and loot system, wish me luck!
June 3, 2016 By: David Tse
So I got a little carried away making improvements to the game for the video, but it's all done now! I did a ton of fixes, plus got trees and grass back into the game!
The first part of the update video is now up and part two talking more about the generation pipeline will be up in a day or two.
Pre-Alpha 5.2 Patch Notes
- Fixed a few crashes related to having more than 10 CPU cores.
- Increased zombie spawn count.
- Added zombie wall avoidance so zombies inside don't get stuck on walls as much anymore.
- Increased zombie field of view and view distance so they will spot you more often.
- Added a zombie personal space hack that will make zombies attack if you get too close, Will be replaced with more advanced sound notice system in the future.
- Decreased the size of the sun so lower resolutions won't get huge sun. Need to base it on screen resolution in the future.
- Fixed player falling through the ground before world loaded.
- New road/sidewalk mesh that fits with the world much better.
- Grass is working again
- Trees are working again with old tree models as placeholders.
- Removed some video options that weren't being used.
- Zombie view distance is now working properly, low setting should improve performance.
- Fixed arrows sometimes getting stuck in the player resulting in an arrow that appeared to never shoot.
I wasn't planning on doing all of these things in 5.2, but while making the video I went a little overboard making everything look better. So it ended up becoming it's own full update almost, but I think it was worth it because the new sidewalk with the grass and trees looks infinitely better than with no vegetation.
Your performance will go down with 5.2, but this should be lowest point it ever gets to now that at a high level everything is in more or less. We only have up to go from here!
Like I said in the video i'm now working on the inventory, loot, hunger, and thirst system all of which will be in the next update. It should only be a week or two away, but will only be basic in the first update. If you want to follow it's progress make sure you head over to the Trello Board
so you can see real time updates!
May 12, 2016 By: David Tse
is now out to everyone who has preordered
! I did a bunch of improvements in 5.1 so now it’s going live to everyone who has the game without needing to opt in. Below are the full patch notes.
Screenshot from Pre-Alpha 5.1
- Significantly reduced stuttering and framerate drops when streaming in new building and road chunks. It’s far from where I would like it to be, but it’s actually playable now compared to 5.0
- Many general optimizations and performance improvements. The fps on my machine went from 40-45 to 90-115. It’s still not that great, but is much better now.
- Implemented a fancy zone profiler that makes it much easier to track down performance issues and lag spikes.
- Improved streaming performance by reducing lock contention
- Fixed a bug where terrain physics would only be generated around the roads
- Major optimization to shadow rendering. Only renders one of the 4 cascades per frame effectively speeding up shadow rendering by 4. Shadows are a little laggy now, but you can’t really see it.
- Fixed a bug that would cause the game to crash if you tried to resize the window by temporarily disabling text resizing. So if you resize the window the text will be too big or too small until you restart the game.
- The game will now check your display size and make sure to never create a window that’s larger than it. If the game wants to make a window the same size as your desktop resolution or larger it will now maximize the window for you.
- Overlapping houses are now culled during generation time. So there should not be any houses that overlap with each other or the roads.
Right now I’m working on a video showing everything that’s changed since Pre-Alpha 4 and that should be out soon. This build still has some big issues, but I think they’re manageable right now so I’m going to start working on the loot and inventory system as soon as the video is finished.
If you have any issues with this current build please let me know. I’m really excited to start releasing builds again and can’t wait until we can gather loot and actually start surviving for real! Pre-Alpha 6 should not be too far away and my focus now is on doing much smaller faster updates so stay tuned to the Development Trello
and my Twitter
for the latest info on what’s being worked on!